This is a dish my mom made quite often. It’s a meat and potato stew with green beans. I’ve spent years trying to get this recipe just so. I do believe I finally have.
It’s so perfect on a cool evening.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 a medium white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp pepper divided
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Pinch of comino (ground cumin)
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 can green beans, drained
- Cook the ground turkey, season with 1/2 the salt salt and 1/2 the pepper, drain any fat, set aside
- In a stock pot heat oil to medium high
- Add in the onion, cook until translucent
- Add in the rest of the salt and pepper
- Add in the garlic, cook an additional 2/3 minutes, stirring often as to not burn the garlic
- Add in the chopped tomatoes cook another 5 minutes or so
- Next, add in the beef broth
- Add the potatoes, bring the mixture to a soft boil
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the diced potatoes are almost soft enough. I normally par-cook my potatoes a bit so this step goes quick for me. Your potatoes will take longer to cook.
- Add in the green beans and ground turkey
- . Bring mixture back up to a simmer and cook an additional 10 minutes with lid on
Garnish with chopped cilantro, and or fresh chopped onions.
Add a squeeze or two of lemon juice to your bowl of guisado and salsa as well, if you like.
Crumble tortilla chips, add this for garnish too, if it tickles your taste bud fancy!
I sometimes add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt or sour cream too.