This is such a easy way to prepare a tri tip and it makes for a very tasty meal. Today I am still under the weather a tad, been fighting a bad cold (or perhaps in hindsight it was influenza B) all week, so this put together and forget about it, way of cooking a tri tip… definitely works!
- 2 pounds tri tip
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 envelope Lipton onion soup mix
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 white onion peeled & quartered
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 4 russet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped into large pieces
- Bring your meat to more room temperature by setting it out on your kitchen counter 20 minutes before you prep it
- Heat the oil to hot in a large sauté pan
- Brown the tri tip of both sides over high heat. This should take no more than 3-5 minutes per side (don’t skip this step, by browning the meat it locks in the juices and makes for a more tender and delicious finished product)
- Remove the meat from the pan and set it aside
- Place the soup mixes, water and garlic powder into your crockpot
- Whisk until well combined
- Layer the onion into the mix
- Now layer in the tri tip, cut it in 2 if needed
- At this point I salt and pepper the meat.
- Cook on high covered for 3 hours
- At the end of 3 hours add in the vegetables, add a little salt and pepper to the vegis at this point, cover
- Cook mixture another 2 hours
- Take the meat out and cut into bit size chunks starting with cuts against the grain
- Return the meat to your crockpot or place all ingredients on a serving platter for service, reserving the juices
* The juices makes a really tasty gravy, you can thicken it or use it as is. Pour some over each serving, it’s so good.
(Here we dug right in. Lol Eventually I cut all the meat into bite size pieces, I guess we were both a little too hungry to do it earlier)
Special thanks to my mom and law for the Lipton onion soup idea! This under the weather gal sure appreciates this easy and delish meal idea.
Pingback: Easy Tri Tip Roast w/Vegetables — Gina’s Joys | homethoughtsfromabroad626