This soup is so good! I’ve had my eye on a particular recipe for Green Enchilada Chicken Soup for a while now and I had all the ingredients shopped for it already. My sister happened to make a version of it recently and her finished product looked so amazing, I just had to make it sooner than later.
I had two eager taste-testers in the waiting…
I have to say both my husband and grandson loved my version here, hooray!
Maybe you’d like to give it a try.
I used a Pinterest recipe to start, then added some of my own touches to make it my own.
There are a number of ways to top/garnish this soup, we’ll talk about that later.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28oz can green enchilada sauce (mild)
- 1 small can roasted diced green chiles
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp dried comino (cumin)
- 1/4 tsp chile powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or mix of your preference)
- 1 cup cream cheese (I used a light whipped version, regular cream cheese would be fine)
- 1 14.5 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can drained petite diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken (I used breast meat from a store bought roast chicken, easy peasy)
- In a large stock pot heat the oil
- Sauté the onion in the pot until translucent
- Next, add in the chicken broth and enchilada sauce
- Add in all the seasonings
- Mix well
- Bring the mixture to a soft boil
- Lower to a simmer
- Cover loosely
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes
- Add in the cream cheese
- Whisk until the soup is smooth
- Add in the shredded cheese, mix until well melted
- Add in the corn, tomatoes and chicken
- Simmer all about another 20 more minutes
Serve this with a variety of topping choices, it will make for a fun meal!
I put out chopped cilantro, chopped green onion, a shredded cheddar cheese mix, dried oregano and tortilla topping strips.
A dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt would be good here as well.
This soup is definitely both decadent and delicious!
I really think you’ll like it too. g.