My Mother’s version of Caldo De Res is the very best, here is my hard thought out re-creation of how she made it, with all respect Momma. ❤️ Miss you so……..
For me, this soup is the ultimate pot of goodness. Making this brings back sweet memories of having my Momma here on earth with us.
I just love good food memories, don’t you?.
- 1 pound beef shank
- 2 1/4 pounds beef roast, cut in cubes
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled left whole
- 2 tomatoes cut into 8ths
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup baby carrots
- 1-2 large zucchini, chopped large
- 3 celery stalks, chopped large
- 3-4 peeled potatoes cut in 4ths
- 1/2 head cabbage cut into 8ths
- 3 ears of corn cut in 3rds
I used half of this roast
Here’s the beef shank I used, very inexpensive to add a whole lot of flavor goodness.
Yes indeed the beef shank adds a lot of flavor to the soup. Also the marrow is delish too. You can spread it on a tortilla, add a bit of salt, roll up the tortilla and enjoy.
- In a large stock pot heat oil to hot
- On med high heat, add in the the beef shank, brown it on both sides, remove from heat and set aside
- Next, brown the beef roast cubes
- Add the beef shank back into the pot
- Add in the water and beef broth
- To the stock pot add in the onion, garlic, bay leaves, tomato, cumin, pepper and salt.
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Skim off the fat
- Simmer the soup for 1 1/2 hour or until beef is tender
- Add in the carrots, celery, corn and potatoes cook for 20 minutes
- Add in the zucchini cook another 5 minutes
- Check all vegetables to make sure they are very close to cooked enough at this point
- Add in the cabbage and cook for 5 more minutes
(Please note that cooking times on the vegetable additions here are an estimate but I feel close enough for you to use as a general guide)
This soup is so delicious on its own. You can also add in a scoop of Spanish rice at service.
Chopped cilantro is a flavorful topping here, you might like to add some to your soup. Add in a squeeze of lime as well if you like and the hot sauce and or salsa of your choice.
Serve warm corn and/or flour tortillas along side this soup.