Not going to lie this was a huge hit at a recent family gathering my husband and I hosted. It’s over the top tasty with a touch of decadence. I hope you’ll try it!
- Cooking spray
- 30 oz bag hash browns defrosted
- 1/2 tsp salt divided
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- 10 oz pork breakfast sausage
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar
- 1/4 tsp minced fresh rosemary (optional)
1. Spray a 8 x 11 casserole dish with cooking oil
2. Cook the sausage until done, breaking it up into small pieces, drain and set aside
3. Layer the hash browns into the dish
4. Dot the hash browns with butter
5. Sprinkle the hash brown layer with 1/4 tsp salt
6. Add a dash of pepper
7. Layer the sausage next
8. In a large mixing bowl add the eggs, cheese, cream and 1/4 tsp salt (if using rosemary, add now), mix well
9. Layer the egg mixture now
(if using rosemary add it in now)
10. Add another dash of pepper
11. Place the casserole in the fridge, covered
12. Morning of… bake the casserole in a preheated oven at 350 for approximately 1 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours or until eggs are set
(A good way to check for doneness, place a toothpick down into the center of the casserole if it comes out clean it’s eat time!)
12a. If baking same day, bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until eggs are set.
I like to cut squares ahead of time for my guests, leaving the portions in the warm casserole dish, this saves time in the family buffet line as guests serve themselves their squares. 😉
Possible toppings on the side… chopped green onion, salsa of your choice.
Actually it really doesn’t need any extra dolling up, it’s that good friends.
Have a happy day! g.