- 1 head brocoli
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 cup butter
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups medium Cheddar cheese, grated (more for garnish at service)
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Combine the 1st 5 ingredients and toss well
- Place this mixture on a cookie sheet
- Roast broccoli mixture for 30 minutes
- Place broccoli in a stock pot
- Add in chicken broth, seasonings and cornstarch
- Mix till no lumps appear from cornstarch
- Add in the butter
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes
- Remove the brocoli from the pot and place it in a blender
- Pulse the broccoli until you reach the desired consistency, I like mine a little chunky.
- Return the broccoli to the stock pot
- Slowly add in the cream
- Add in the cheese
- Cook on low another 10 minutes or so, to heat all through
Alternative Method (using frozen broccoli)
- Use 8 cups frozen broccoli
- Combine broccoli, chicken broth, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder in a stock pot
- Bring mixture to boil
- Simmer for 30 minutes covered
- Add in the cornstarch, mix well
- Proceed to step 10
(This makes approximately 4 servings)
Garnish with extra cheese and croutons if you like. I love the bit of crunch croutons give the soup.
I just made the soup using this frozen broccoli method, the soup is delicious!
This time I cut back on the cheese, only used 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1/4 cup fresh parmessan cheese. I also cut back on the cream, this time I just used 1/4 cup and I omitted the butter.
No kidding, still… the soup was out of this world delish!
Hope you’ll give my recipes here a try.
Have a happy week! g.