So I’ve been craving these delish scallop potatoes with spam. My Aunt, through marriage, made them from time to time and boy do they bring back some awesome and delish good foodie memories.
The recipe is quite simple actually. Keep in mind this dish is a little different in that the looseness/soupiness of the finished dish is part of it’s extreme goodness.
Final layer (I added extra pepper)
It’s about done
Ready to serve
- 7/8 medium size russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 can of spam, chopped (use light spam if you prefer)
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups milk
* No salt needed if you are using regular spam, if using light spam add about 1/4 tsp to the seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to 350
- Par cook the potatoes. I cooked them in the microwave in an opened zip lock bag for about half the cooking time recommended for 8 baked potatoes. Let them cool a bit, then peel them and set aside
- Take 1/2 the butter and spread it on the bottom of an 8 by 8 casserole dish using the back of a spoon or a rubber mixing spatula
- Combine the seasonings (thyme, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper)
- Chop the spam into small cubes
- Slice the potatoes thinly
- Begin to layer the ingredients
- Layer roughly 3 potatoes, 1/3 of the seasoning mix, 1/2 the remaining butter (use a spoon to drop small pieces of butter onto the potatoes), 1/3 of the cheese and 1/2 of the spam
- Repeat layer
- For the final layer use potatoes, remaing seasoning mixture and cheese, ending with the cheese or course and by all means.. add extra cheese if you like
- Next, pour the milk over the entire mixture
- You’ll be filling your casserole dish about half way up with the milk
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet (to avoid any oven mess from the milk bubbling over the casserole dish)
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes uncovered
- Remove from the oven, let rest 10 minutes
- The potatoes will continue to cook outside of the oven for a bit so don’t worry if the potatoes are still a little bit aldente when you first take the dish out of the oven
This is one of those recipes that you can tweak to your own liking of course. Again, these scalloped potato are meant to be a bit soupy, this most definitely adds to their delish charm!
I think next time I will add about another 1/4 – 1/2 cup of milk (and maybe use bigger casserole dish), to make my next batch just a bit more soupy.
Enjoy friends, and happy day!