Benefits of brown rice http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128#healthbenefits
I followed my method for regular Spanish rice except for a few things, more liquid and a longer cooking time.
I like to brown the tomato sauce as well.
Bring the mix to a boil
Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
- 1 tsp cooking oil (I use olive oil)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/ 3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (or a frozen peas and carrot mix works well here too)
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil to medium high
- Begin to brown the rice, mixing often. You’ll have to watch over the pot of rice closely here as not to burn it. Mixing it quite often is your best here
- When the rice is somewhat browned add in the tomato sauce, continue browning with the added tomato sauce for just a few more minutes
- Add in all other ingredients
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Cover and lower heat to a simmer
- Simmer the rice for 1 hour
- Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork
This is so good friends, I promise. The texture of the brown rice is so substantial I feel like this rice is not only delicious but it is quite filling as well.
Serve this a side dish. I like it just cooked and hot off the stove topped with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese, oh my, so delish!