Benefits of brown rice http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=128#healthbenefits
I followed my method for regular Spanish rice except for a few things, more liquid and a longer cooking time.
I like to brown the tomato sauce as well.
Bring the mix to a boil
Cover and simmer on low for 1 hour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/ / cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- In a medium saucepan heat the oil to medium high
- Begin to brown the rice, mixing often
- When the rice is somewhat browned add in the tomato sauce, continue browning for for a few more minutes
- Add in all other ingredients
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Cover and lower heat to a simmer
- Simmer the rice for 1 hour
- Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork
This is so good friends, I promise. The texture of the brown rice is so substantial I feel like this rice is not only delicious but it is more filling as well.
Serve this a side dish. I like it just cooked and hot off the stove, so delish!