I love to enjoy this kinda soupy but feel free to cut down on the chicken stock by a cup or so to make it more of a side dish and less of a soup.
Before moving on I thought I’d share some of my personal history with this dish, my mother made a version of this for years, her famous ‘Calabacitas’. Her version was always so very delicious. One evening while I was in culinary school in the South of France I made my mom’s calabacitas for some of my fellow chefs in training, talk about a hit! Aw, such fond memories. 💖 My mom would use sautéd onions, tomatoes and garlic and many times she’d add a can a corn to her soupy dish too.
Since I’m doing the Atkins/Keto thing I omitted the (fresh) onions, tomatoes and corn and substituted with peppers.
Oh…. it’s so good!
The salted squash
- 4 good sized zuchinni squash, sliced
- 1 green pasilla, chopped small, seeds removed
- 1 yellow chile, chopped small, seeded removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 onion powder
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- pinch of oregano (optional)
- Spread the cut zuchinni out on a sheet pan and lightly salt it, let the squash stand for about 20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil to med high
- Sauté the chopped chiles (both) for about 10 minutes on med high
- Add in the garlic, continue cooking a few more minutes
- Add in the squash
- Add in the seasonings
- Continue sauting the mixture for 5 more minutes
- Add in the broth and oregano (if desired)
- Cook the mixture an additional 10 minutes
- Remove sauté pan from the heat source
- Add in the cheese
- Serve and enjoy!