I’ve been doing a modified Atkins thing lately just to drop some vacation pounds. With all the hoopla about the ‘Keto’ diet I decided to call this dish… Keto Squash and Peppers w/Cheese.
I love to enjoy this kinda soupy but feel free to cut down on the chicken stock by a cup or so to make it more of a side dish and less of a soup.
Before moving on I thought I’d share some of my personal history with this dish, my mother made a version of this for years, her famous ‘Calabacitas’. Her version was always so very delicious. One evening while I was in culinary school in the South of France I made my mom’s calabacitas for some of my fellow chefs in training, talk about a hit! Aw, such fond memories. 💖 My mom would use sautéd onions, tomatoes and garlic and many times she’d add a can a corn to her soupy dish too.
Since I’m doing the Atkins/Keto thing I omitted the (fresh) onions, tomatoes and corn and substituted with peppers.
Oh…. it’s so good!
The salted squash
(I decided to go with just one yellow chile afterall to keep the heat factor down)
As you can see I was not too concerned with removing every last chile seed, but that is only because I am accustomed to heat.
- 4 good sized zuchinni squash, sliced
- 1 green pasilla, chopped small, seeds removed
- 1 yellow chile, chopped small, seeded removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 onion powder
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese
- pinch of oregano (optional)
- Spread the cut zuchinni out on a sheet pan and lightly salt it, let the squash stand for about 20 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil to med high
- Sauté the chopped chiles (both) for about 10 minutes on med high
- Add in the garlic, continue cooking a few more minutes
- Add in the squash
- Add in the seasonings
- Continue sauting the mixture for 5 more minutes
- Add in the broth and oregano (if desired)
- Cook the mixture an additional 10 minutes
- Remove sauté pan from the heat source
- Add in the cheese
- Serve and enjoy!
I love this served soup in a bowl with the hot sauce tapetio. If you like, have some corn on hand for those not watching their carbs. The whole kernal corn can be heated and added per serving.