This stuff is divine.
Here’s your preview slice, enjoy. 😊 She’s all dolled up or, buttered up.
2 cups of flour
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
3 tablespoon margarine or butter
1 cup golden raisins (optional)
1/4 tsp caraway seed
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk (I add a touch of vinegar to milk)
1 egg, beaten
1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Blend together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles course meal.
- Add raisins, caraway seed, buttermilk, and egg; stir until blended.
- Knead on floured board until smooth about 1 minute.
- Shape dough into a ball and place it on greased cookie sheet
- Cut a deep cross on top of the loaf.
- Brush the dough with the egg white and water mixture
- Place on the middle rack of your oven
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes or until golden brown. (Insert a toothpick into the center to check for doneness, if it comes out clean it’s done)
* tent the bread with foil if it begins to brown too much before it’s completely cooked.
10. Slice and enjoy with butter.