Growing up Spanish rice was a staple in our home. My mom’s version, though a bit different than the way I like to cook mine now, was pure perfection. She did like mine, but she was always partial to her own, no tomato sauce, extra garlic, version.
My, I can still picture her in our kitchen preparing her rice, aromas sweetly enveloping our home, warmly tantilzing our taste buds…
Having spent an extended period of time in Spain, Barcelona mostly, where I throughly enjoyed the cuisine and cooked and shopped like a local, I discovered that paprika (their secret ingredient) is a favorite spice there, it’s added in the cooking process of many a wonderful dish. These days I love to add paprika to my Spanish rice. This gives the rice a rich deep flavor and adds that little extra something others will be dying to know about later. 😉
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder (or a quarter onion, small chopped)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1/2 peeled minced garlic clove)
- * optional 1/2 small tomato, small chopped
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot to medium high
- Add in the rice
- Saute the rice until it begins to brown
- Add in the tomato sauce
- Continue cooking for about 2/3 minutes stiring constantly (this process will help give the rice/tomato sauce a deeper flavor)
- *if using fresh onion, garlic and tomato, otherwise skip to #7… add in the onion, continue to stir the rice mixture to begin to cook the onion for about a minute or so , next add in the tomato and garlic, stir for another minute (be careful not to burn the garlic) Next, add in the chicken broth, paprika, salt and pepper, skip to #8
- Add in the chicken broth and all seasonings and spices
- Stir until well combined
- Turn up the heat to high
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Lower heat to low, cover your pot
- Simmer the rice, covered on low, for 20/25 minutes (the batch pictured here took about 25 minutes to cook)
It took years for me to perfect my Spanish rice cooking.
Your practice will make perfect, I assure you.
* Spanish rice is a dish that will need all your cooking attention before the lid goes on, once on, it will take care of itself and in about 20/25 minutes, you’ll have Spanish foodie perfection!
Add in 1 cup of frozen mixed vegetables before bringing mixture/broth to a boil
Use beef broth in place of chicken broth
Add in a pinch of dried oregano with the other seasonings