Ok folks if you want wow your guests and make them fall all over you (in a good way), make them these yummy smashed pototoes.
- 5 lbs baking potatoes cooked to soft and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 tablespoons salted butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup white onion, chopped small
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat oil and butter or margarine in a medium size sauté pan on med heat until butter or margarine is melted.
- Add in the onions, salt and pepper
- Cook the onions on low to med heat until they are clearly translucent and soft, mixing them often.
- Add in the minced garlic and continue to cook the mixture on low until the garlic is soft.
- In a large bowl combine the peeled cooked potatoes with the butter (or margarine), oil , onion and garlic mixture and the cream, mix well.
- Smash the combined mixture until you are happy with the texture. I use the back of a large plastic mixing spoon to smash and kinda cut up the larger chunks of potato with the spoon.
- Adjust the salt to your taste preference, serve these smashed potatoes warm.
I like lumpiness to my potatoes, therefore I don’t completely mash them smooth, hence the name..
These are beyond delish. I sure hope you fall in love with them (too).
Bon appetit! g.
Here are a couple of tips that will help when preparing these.
* It’s important to cook the onions and garlic in the butter and oil until they are completely soft before combining them with the potatoes and cream.
* Garlic burns easily, watch it closely.