I found a great recipe on the internet recently for baked chicken. Baked, whole chicken, a high heat cooking process with moist results…. all those things, I like! I thought, hey, I can add a few of my own touches to an already great recipe like a bit more flavor depth based on my cooking knowledge and walla… here it is, my scrumptious version.
My newly clipped herb sprigs. I just happened to have these herbs on hand in my backyard herb garden space, purchase your fresh herbs at your local grocery store.
Gather your ingredients. Oops, missing the 1/2 a lemon, I’m on it.
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (can use more lemon juice if desired)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1/2 a lemon
- Rinse the chicken inside and out well under cold water, then pat dry using a paper towel.
- In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with oil and melted butter until blended, then rub all over the chicken.
- Using clean hands rub the inside and outside of the chicken with seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and paprika (you can season the chicken under the skin also if desired).
- Place the lemon half, thyme and rosemary sprigs inside the cavity.
- Place the chicken into a baking dish (you can place the chicken onto a small roasting rack if desired and you may want to add in a little water to the pan to prevent
At this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours (not more than that or the acid in the lemon juice will start to “cook” the chicken).
Set oven to 450 degrees F.
Roast the chicken at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue roasting for about an hour or until the internal temperature reaches about 175 to 180 degrees F.
Cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing (do not slice before that time or the juices will flow out).
This was really moist and oh so flavorful. I made garlic mashers to go with it.