My mom was an excellent cook. Lately as we step into fall (or at least feel hints of it) here in So. Cal., I’ve been craving her chicken soup. She put so much love into her cooking I like to think I do the same.
Last night I made my version of her original magic. The only changes are, the addition of a touch tomato sauce, this gives the soup broth a nice finish, I add sweet whole kernel corn to the mix and a hint chile powder as well.
This recipe makes a very large amount, enough for a family of 6 adults plus leftovers for another meal.
Here’s the large pot I used…
Feel free to add and or take away as you see fit here. These amounts and ingredients (the vegi’s) can be varied as you please.
The key is the 1st step… this adds such great flavor to the soup base, sauting the onions, tomatoes and garlic with salt and pepper definitely works.
And all the other spices you’ll add later, well those are key too.
Here’s were the magic begins. 💫
Chopped vegi’s. ✔️
Almost all in…
Toppings prepped. Avocado, I’ll prep just before serving time.
Roast Chicken all chopped up.
Don’t forget those yummy topping choices, crushed tortilla chips too.
A side of warm flour tortilla with butter goes fab with this here goodness.
Start here… this will give the soup a great base flavor.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 medium size tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- In a medium sauté pan heat the oil to medium high
- Cook the onion with the salt and pepper until it begins to turn translucent
- Add in the tomato and garlic, turn the heat down to medium
- Continue to cook for another 10 minutes or so, mix frequently as to not to burn the garlic
- Set this aside
Ingredients… (main soup)
- 2 cups celery, small chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, small chopped
- 4 cups zuchinni, small chopped
- 4 cups peeled potatoes, small chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 3 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup of white rice
- 4 cups cooked roast chopped chicken
- Add chicken broth to a larger soup pot
- Add in the tomato sauce and spices
- Bring the mix to a boil
- Lower heat and add in all the vegetables
- Bring the broth back up to a simmer
- Simmer, covered for 7-10 minutes (with all vegetables chopped small they will cook fast)
- Add in the rice, cook the soup top on, about 15 more minutes, or until rice is cooked
- Add in your chopped chicken
- Remove the pot from the heat source and take the top off
- It’s done.
- Eat, enjoy.
- Chopped avocado
- Pan Roast, dried red chiles (chile Arbol), chopped small
- Jalapeños, thinly sliced
- Crushed tortilla chips