I saw the original recipe just a few days ago on Facebook. I wanted to add my own touches (like green bell pepper, for flavor without heat) and make it more substantial so that it would be more of a meal… chicken, that worked. Here I give you what some might call… A Lazy Chile Relleno (and Chicken) Casserole. Pair it with a salad and walla, a super delish meal can be had!
Heavy cream and egg mix.
Ready to layer with the mix.
Time to bake
- 1 cup cooked, chopped up, chicken mixed with a 1/3 cup of verde (green chile) sauce of your liking.
- 3 Anaheim or pasilla chiles, roasted, skinned and seeded. (you can use 1 can of whole green chiles if you like)
- 2 roasted bell peppers, skinned and seeded
(a how-to for you… ( Chile Charring 101 – Gina’s Joys https://ginasjoys.wordpress.com/2016/06/30/chile-charring-101/ )
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 8 x 8 casserole dish, place a layer of green chiles and bell peppers.
- Add chicken on top of chiles.
- Top with 1/2 the shredded cheese.
- Add another layer of green chiles, bell peppers, chicken and cheese.
- In a bowl beat eggs, heavy cream, salt, garlic powder and baking powder. Pour this on top of chili layers.
- Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until done. Test with a toothpick, stick the toothpick in the center if it comes out clean, it’s done.
Let rest 5/10 minutes before cutting.
ps. this casserole is simply delish as a leftover meal as well.