I’ve been craving the flavor of green chiles. I decided to oven roast some using my oven broiler setting. I did more than a few 😉 some I will freeze for later use.
Here’s how to…
- Rinse and dry the chiles with a paper towel, gently dab.
- Place the chiles on a baking sheet
- Turn oven to high broiler setting
- Place the chiles at the closest level to the broiler (without having chiles touch the heat source)
- Now set your timer and every so often about 5-7 minutes, flip the chiles as they begin to char. Try to char them on all sides. The whole process should take no more than 15 minutes. You’ll need to watch them closely as to not over char.
- Once the chiles are done remove them from the oven
- Carefully place (they’ll be quite hot to the touch) each chile into a paper bag (multiply chiles can go in one bag)
- Seal the bag (fold it over)
- Place the bag (s) of chile on a kitchen towel and fold the kitchen towel over a few times. This will ensure the best steaming process
- Leave the chiles to steam at least 20 minutes
- Once the chiles are done steaming and cool enough to handle, make a little slit in each. Reach in with you fingers or a spoon and remove the seeds.
- Next, cut off the stems, peel the skin off the chiles, the skin should come off fairly easy at this point.
* wash your hands well, you’ll want to remove any hot residue from your skin and fingers.
Just out of the broiler, skin still on.
Here’s another batch I did recently, this mix includes green bell peppers.
All charred up.
You can always use a freezer bag to steam them.
All ready to peel
Stay tuned for what I make with these, first recipe coming tomorrow. 🙂