Hey there sweet readers. I’ve got a great recipe here for you. It’s my version of (sorta) skinny potato soup. I tried to save in fat grams and in calories whilst not losing a whole lot of yummy flavor. I do declare, I think I did it!
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 slices bacon, chopped small and crisp cooked (reserve 1 tsp bacon fat)
- 1/4 small chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 T butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 pinch dry thyme
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (and extra for garnish)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- Peel and chop the potatoes, set aside
- In a stock pot fry on medium high heat the bacon until crisp, remove from the pot, reserve 1 Tblsp fat
- Cook the onion in the bacon fat until soft and translucent
- Add in the garlic, cook for a few more minutes until soft
- Remove the cooked onion and garlic from the pot, set aside
- To the stock pot add 1 in Tblsp butter or margarine
- Add in a 1/4 cup flour
- Whisk mixture for a few minutes, it will be really thick
- Slowly add in the chicken broth, whisk until smooth
- Bring this broth to boil, then lower the heat to simmer. You’ll want to cook (on high simmer) the broth here at least for 5 minutes to get rid of the floury taste and to thicken it
- Add in your milk, whisk mixture more making sure it’s smooth
- Add in the onions, garlic, salt, pepper and spices (don’t skip the thyme or nutmeg these to little herb gems really send the soup over the top on good flavor level!)
- Now stir in the cheddar cheese until melted
- Add in the sourcream, blend well
- Next, add in your potatoes
- Bring the soup mixture to a boil, then lower quickly to a simmer and cook uncovered for approximately 5 mintes (the pototoes will soften quickly in the hot broth and they will continue to cook after you turn off the heat)
- Remove the soup from the heat
Now you are ready to serve…
Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or any other cheese of your liking. I like using sharp cheddar, it’s full of flavor and I am able to use less of it and still make all thing good.
Finish the bowled soup with your chopped cooked bacon.
Additional toppings… any of your liking. I think some big yummy croutons and or chopped green onion and chives would be delish I this.
Sure hope you enjoy this recipe of mine as much as I did!