My husband and I have been going to Vegas (downtown) for his side family reunion every year for awhile now. Early on one could belly up to the old cafe in the Golden Gate Casino and enjoy this type of delicious shrimp cocktail for a very reasonable price, and we did, on every trip. Some years back the casino remodeled, got rid of the cafe and replaced it with a nicer coffee shop. All okay and dandy, but (insert sad face) there went the true experience of this famous Golden Gate Casino treat. Last night as some of his family members were arriving into Vegas to enjoy the yearly get together , we decided to make these at home. While we are disappointed about having to miss out on the big family trip this year due to schedule conflicts, we are very happy for all going. Shrimp Cocktail cheers to you family! ❤️
- Celery, chopped finely. I used about 4 stalks for 2 servings.
- Cooked shrimp. About a cup for two servings
- A good quality cocktail sauce
- Cook the shrimp covered in lightly seasoned water (salt and pepper), this takes very little time. Keep a close eye on them. As your water heats (set burner to med high) the shrimp will cook. When they turn pinkish in color, they are done.
- Drain the shrimp and chill.
- Meanwhile finely chop the celery
- When you are ready to serve these and the shrimp is cold begin to layer the cocktails. I used about a 1/2 cup of chopped celery per glass.
- Next add about a 1/3 cup shrimp to each glass (on top of the celery)
- Squeeze lemon juice on each
- Now top with cocktail sauce, I used about a 1/4 cup on each.
I like extra lemon and hot sauce on mine and sometimes extra cocktail sauce too.
Plain saltine type crackers are a great with these.
Use these to entertain, they would make great appetizers for any party or getogether. You could serve them up in nice small clear plastic drinks cups, I think that would look fab!
Don’t forget the lemon wedge on the edge of the cup, makes for a nice walla, here they are… presentation.