Above, I topped this one with some yummy goodness. To keep it all healthy I used non-fat plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
My ground turkey mix
Ready to roll, the chimichangas…
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup mild salsa, red or green
- 1 small can chopped mild green chiles (optional)
- 1 small can sliced black olives (optional)
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese (I like using sharp cheddar as it packs more of a flavor punch)
- flour tortillas (whole wheat if you’d like)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick spray; set over medium-high heat. Add turkey, onion, garlic, chili powder, oregano and cumin. Cook and drain as needed until browned.
- Stir in salsa and chiles.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheddar.
- Heat the tortillas.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the filling into the center of each tortilla. Fold in the sides, then roll to enclose the filling.
- Place the chimichangas, seam-side down, on the baking sheet.
- Lightly spray the tops of the tortillas with nonstick spray.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes. Do not turn.
- Top as you wish.
These are really good topped with diced tomatoes, thinly sliced jalapeño rings, small chopped or minced white onion, sour cream, plain greek yogurt, diced avocado, salsa, your favorite hot sauce, green onions, cheddar cheese.
I sure hope you enjoy these as much as we did!