My mom use to make this for us when we were kids. I’m quite sure my version has changed over the years as I have traveled and tasted other versions of this dish and or similar dishes. I think this version I share with you here is a good one. I sure hope you enjoy it too!
Arroz Con Pollo!
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 4 pieces chicken (I used legs and thighs)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch cumin
- Spay a stock pot with cooking spray
- Heat to med high
- Add in your chicken pieces, season and brown them. (during this step you are not cooking the chicken just quickly browning them to lock in the juices)
- Remove the chicken from the pot, set aside.
- Scrap the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add in a tablespoon of cooking oil
- Add in the rice
- Begin to brown the rice
- Now add the tomato sauce, continue stirring the rice,brown a few minutes longer
- Add in the onion, cook the mixture another 3 minutes or so
- Next, add in the tomato and garlic, stir for a few more minutes. (Garlic burns easily, be careful)
- Now add in the chicken broth, seasonings, frozen peas & carrots and the chicken.
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Lower heat, keep mix at a simmer
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes